During the summer of 2010 I will be spending 14 weeks in Central America. The majority of that time will be spent in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala, studying Spanish and volunteering in local and rural health clinics. I hope to be able to keep up with you all here!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Xela, at last!

Greetings from Xela! MRM and I left Antigua at 6am and arrived here around 10am. I got really motion-sick on the way, as we drove through windy mountain roads. But they were all very well paved, which was fantastic. MRM thought she saw a man walking a deer this morning, but we now think it was a very pretty goat. And speaking of goats, tonight is the national futbol championship, in Xela, and Xela (whose team is called the Super Sheep) is playing for the title. We were lucky to find room in the Black Cat Hostel, but not before the grumpy proprietor lectured us on how he doesn´t understand why anyone would want to stay there.

Our final shuttle driver, William, was so kind and helpful. He´d been to Nashville several times and has friends in Knoxville.

Everyone I´ve met at my school has been lovely! It´s across the street from the flower market. Xela is much bigger than I had any idea. And very hilly. I´m overwhelmed and excited, which is pretty much how I´ve felt this whole time.

I will really miss my study buddy and compatriot, MRM, and my tour guides, Henry and Stephen. They left for Lanquin yesterday afternoon and I won´t see them again until August. MRM is coming back to Xela for her birthday in two weeks, and I am determined to be able to have short conversations with her in Spanish.

I had a total freak out moment on the way here. The shuttle driver asked us if we wanted to stop and get some food and use the bathroom and I had no idea what he was saying, and thought, there is no way I can be left alone here.

The past few days in Antigua have been good. After touring the market two days ago, MRM and I happened on a taco shop and she ordered ¨pastor¨tacos for us, thinking it was like ¨pastoral¨and therefore vegetarian. Turns out the meat was really tough, chewy pork. But all the toppings were good, as was the company. Sitting next to us at the counter was Tom, who turned out to be the new in-country director for International Justice Mission, a humanitarian organization I´ve had a tremendous amount of respect for for awhile. Tom was in Antigua learning Spanish, as the person he replaced, a Guatemalan, was moving to the DC office. IJM has international jurisdiction in cases of child abuse, assault, and trafficking as well as handling the myriad social services that rescued kids need.

Last night, MRM and Monica (our sweet, smart Belgium friend from the hostel) and I saw the documentary ¨When the Mountains Tremble¨ which gave a very brief overview of the Guatemalan Civil War, including the roles played by the Guatemalan government, the US Government, United Fruit, and the peasants/campesinos who were getting all uppity and wanting things like running water and a sewage system, and not to starve to death, or be disappeared. It was a good documentary, but it tried to do too much, in the end. Still, I reccommend it.

Will report next week after I meet my homestay family tomorro. MRM and I are going to wander around and get acquainted with this place. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment