During the summer of 2010 I will be spending 14 weeks in Central America. The majority of that time will be spent in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala, studying Spanish and volunteering in local and rural health clinics. I hope to be able to keep up with you all here!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Pacaya

Update dos: Made it safely to the Tig. Waiting to reach MRM, as my 15 buck phone has chosen not to work. Checked into hostel, which Ali picked out, which is swanky swanky swanky as far as hostels go, now the search for food begins.

Update: MRM is safe, too! She felt the eruption, thought it was an earthquake. But Antigua seems to have survived. Although the weather I am escaping, near constant rain, is the same weather I am headed into, thanks to Pacaya. Better than black snow, though. One of my goals for this weekend is to get what few pictures I have uploaded. We shall see.

Ciao, chicas y chicos!

MRM and Ali and I were planning on climbing Pacaya tomorrow, but it erupted last night and the international airport is closed because debris and ash are still falling from the sky. So, there goes the weekend. But we are safe in Xela and I am assuming MRM is hanging tight in Antigua as well. Waiting to hear from her. Will let you all know when I arrive in Antigua.

7 comments:

  1. CNN reported black snow falling because of the volcano. Glad to read you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy Rach! I am glad you're okay... and that you weren't climbing Pacaya when it erupted. I miss you and I'm so proud of you for sticking it out. I love reading about your adventures! You're a good blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as Hattie always said, if it's not one thing, it's another! Illness, exposure, abduction, volcano . . . . how about something a little more exciting?

    You are having quite the adventure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rachie,
    Don't know how much this mother's heart can take!
    Thank God it erupted BEFORE you found yourself ascending Pacaya.
    Lord Have Mercy
    Enjoy your R&R with MRM.
    Love to you both,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rach, oh my goodness!! As others I am glad you were not climbing when it erupted! Maybe you will have one quiet, relaxing weekend before you come back! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man. I don't think anyone could have written the story with more drama than you are experiencing in real time.

    "Fear not for I am with you always." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, am incredibly glad that we weren't climbing it when it erupted! People were going up it the day before it erupted, which surprised me. I figured in 2010 we'd have the technology available to know when to steer clear of volcanoes!

    ReplyDelete