During the summer of 2010 I will be spending 14 weeks in Central America. The majority of that time will be spent in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala, studying Spanish and volunteering in local and rural health clinics. I hope to be able to keep up with you all here!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Un otra quickie

Loved ones!

I haven't seen anyone get abducted today, which means it is a great day in Xela!

The good news is I have been continuing to feel better. Much better. Not 100%, but not miserable any longer. I have not eaten a single meal at home since Sunday breakfast, and that has become unexpectedly expensive and difficult to navigate. Hospitality is such a huge part of the culture here, and even though my family knows how sick I have been, they keep plying me with food. Last night I finally had the courage to say, "I think there is bacteria in the water and it makes me sick." And my house mother was like, "of course there is, you're in Guatemala after all." I had planned on trying to start eating there again once the Cipro was finished, but have been strongly advised against that by some folks with a lot more experience traveling here that me.

So, for now I am making breakfast at school, eating a PB sandwich at home for lunch and eating dinner out every night.

But something really fabulous happened two nights ago. I came home after dinner and was sitting on the bed with A., watching the Spanish Cartoon Network, and for about the first 15 seconds of the cartoon I thought they were talking in English because I was automatically translating it in my head. And then I thought, " I AM UNDERSTANDING THEM WITH NO PROBLEM!" And as soon as I had that thought, I stopped being able to understand it. Sad. But, it was a small victory nonetheless.

Tomorrow I head to Antigua for a little R&R and strategery with MRM. I have lots I want to share with you all about what I have been thinking about doing, about my wonderful teacher this week, and little anecdotes from my time here, but all that will have to wait because I have a dinner tonight at the school and I am already late.

So for now, ciao.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better, if only a little. I know you'll make the correct decision regarding your health. Take care of yourself.

    Love,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie,
    So glad you're feeling better! Take care!
    Love,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are feeling better!! Hope you and MRM have fun this weekend! Take care and love you lots and lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS- This is sooo irrelevant but I just had to tell you...I finally got a BlackBerry! You'll have to teach me how to use it when you get back. Elijah Will says he misses his Aunt Kitty and sends lots of kisses! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a not so small victory! That's huge just 2 weeks in! Don't look down! Keep climbing! Relax into it and let the immersion do it's work!
    Love you, to infinity and beyond.....
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you!!! I am so glad to be feeling better, as well!

    Coco -- can't wait to help you get addicted to your CrackBerry! Give Elijah Will all of my love. I cannot WAIT to hold him soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He has been sick for the first time in his little life! He had a pretty nasty virus. Temp of 99 to 104 and he vomited on David. We just snuggled on the couch and watched Tigger and Pooh. But today he is fever free and all over the place again! Can't wait to see you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete