During the summer of 2010 I will be spending 14 weeks in Central America. The majority of that time will be spent in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala, studying Spanish and volunteering in local and rural health clinics. I hope to be able to keep up with you all here!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The End. Sort of.

So, I leave Xela today for what will in all likelihood be a whirlwind last few days.

I am taking a shuttle to Antigua this afternoon and have secured a wine date with MRM this evening, since we haven't been near one another much of the summer.

Tomorrow morning, I am being picked up by World Vision at 7am and driven 3 hours and then boated some and then we are hiking some in order to meet Lucia, one of my sponsor children. I am very, very excited.

I get back to Antigua Friday afternoon. Am showering at MRM's apartment, repacking my stuff and then she and I and her friend Joren are taking a bus into the City, dropping off our belongings with her family, eating dinner, and then (hopefully, if the tickets are not sold out) taking an overnight bus into the Peten jungle to see the ruins of Tikal.

We will arrive in Flores, an island town in the jungle, about 6am, take another hour shuttle to Tikal and spend the day at the park.

Then bus back to Flores, eat dinner, clean ourselves of sunscreen, sweat and bug spray, and board a second overnight bus.

We arrive in Guat City at 7am Sunday, will head back to MRM's family for showering, resting, and then the 80th Birthday Celebration of her grandmother, Doña Emma.

Monday morning we head to the airport, board planes, clear customs and immigration, and set foot on American soil 14 weeks after leaving it.

What this means is that I will have to finish the posts from home, which feels rather cheap. But I don't suspect I will have much internet access in the next few days.

So, forgive, and I will be in touch soon! XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Have a safe and, for once, not-too-exciting trip home. Lots of love,
    Murray and Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure ya'll be happy to be home.
    Love Ya,
    M & m

    ReplyDelete